Tuesday, July 22, 2008 ;
12:02 PM

Today's fascinating subject is Meatloaf. My Mom gave me a recipe from her Mom, years ago when I first left home. When I cooked for Jim for the first time (just dating, not engaged yet) I made this meatloaf. Unfortunately, the oven in the little apartment where I lived, up on the third floor of an old, decrepit building in Marion, Indiana, that little oven had seen better days, and knew it. While I was happily talking to Jim out in the sitting room, (you couldn't be in your room with a guy!) that little oven burned my precious meatloaf. I was so disappointed, Jim kept eating it to tell me how wonderful it was. I knew right then he was husband material.

Here is the original recipe:

2 pounds ground beef (I use 1 lb. beef, 1 lb. ground turkey to make it leaner)
6 pieces toast, broken into tiny bits
1 small onion chopped or diced
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 can cream of mushroom soup
salt & pepper, optional (there is plenty of salt in the soup)

Mix well and form a loaf. Bake 30 min. at 425, then 60 min. at 375.

OKAY, that's the original recipe. It is fantastic. I have been experimenting, after watching the Food Network's "Alton Brown". Take a baking pan and line with foil, then make a double-thick pad of foil a little larger than your meatloaf. Punch holes through it with an ice pick so heat can hit the bottom of the loaf. Set a baking rack or cookie rack on top of your foil-lined pan, (spray with Pam) then place your meatloaf on its foil pad on top. Alton recommends one hour at 400 degrees. THE GLAZE: I use an old-fashioned glaze my BH&G cookbook taught me years ago; mix together about a third cup of ketchup with a tablespoon or so of Karo syrup. Paint this on the meatloaf the last 15 minutes, because the sugar will tend to burn.

Now. Try that meatloaf, that way, and let me know if it isn't absolutely fantastic.


♫♫♪♫♪ from Marg


Marg Marshall, 12:02 PM

4 Comments:

nice, i love meatloaf. will try this soon.

Blogger Ltrain, at 22 July, 2008
------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Hey Marg....I love your "notes"! Look at you, getting a blog on :) We still need to make a date for a get-together sometime. I am about to become an empty nester! I'm not sure how this is going to be, so I am investigating taking a college class...maybe Spanish or salsa dancing :) we'll see what's available....susan

Blogger SUSAN WHITLOCK, at 23 July, 2008
------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I can't believe you gave away our "secret" recipe. Everyone has always told me I make the best meatloaf in the world but I have never divulged the recipe. I guess selling it and making a fortune is now out of the question. : )

Anonymous Anonymous, at 23 July, 2008
------------------------------------------------------------------
 
So let me get this straight, the pan is only there to catch the drippings and not hold the meat?

Anonymous Anonymous, at 28 July, 2008
------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Add a comment



THE SCORE

Name:Marg Marshall

View my complete profile

Clef notes

"Fight discouragement like the very devil himself." ~ Morton Dorsey

(The wisest thing my dad ever told me.)

REPERTOIRE
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
May 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
November 2009
May 2011
October 2015

CODA
designer | JEAN

free tracking