Monday, October 20, 2008 ;
1:44 PM





"Maybe You'll Be In Here Soon"

Winds blew and dark clouds threatened as I pulled my car into the parking lot. Today's music was for the residents of a beautiful assisted living facility. The time was set for 1:00 pm; right after lunch but hopefully before nap time.

Three rows of comfortable chairs are lined up in semi-circles facing the keyboard. But the keyboard is so far away from them! And much too heavy to move. Well, I'll just have to make do and try to communicate across the void.

We sail into some old favorites: "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", "You Are My Sunshine", "Let Me Call You Sweetheart", "Down By the Old Mill Stream." I have to stop and tell them that my home town is Findlay, Ohio, the actual home of the Old Mill Stream. It's the Blanchard River, which has overflowed this last year and been in the news! They don't seem quite as excited as I am.

We do some favorite hymns. "Amazing Grace" always comes up first, then "How Great Thou Art." I play selections from ten different Broadway shows, letting them guess the show and the title. Right away I see where my music lovers are.

One distinguished gentlemen seems to know them all. I notice he's alone and wonder if he used to take his bride to see these shows. What must it be like to be left behind? There are always more women than men in these places, but I don't think Cupid is very active. As one woman said, "Been there, done that. Who wants to go back to cookin' and cleanin' up after someone?"

The hour goes quickly, and I thank these gracious folk for being such a good audience. Several ladies come up to thank me for coming. Then one lady says, "I wish you could play for us every day." I smile, and thank her. Then she holds my hand and gazes hopefully up at me. "Well, maybe you'll be in here soon and then you can play every day!"

I laugh half the way home. "Be in here soon." It sounds like she's in jail, hoping for company. And then I feel like crying. Maybe it does feel like jail to some of them. I guess we take personal freedom for granted, till we start to lose it. I think of their sweet smiles, their gracious appreciation for all who come to share with them. What dignity our seniors wrap around themselves like warm cloaks!

Do you know anyone "in there"? Go for a visit. You'll be the one receiving the blessing.



♫♫♪♫♪ from Marg


Marg Marshall, 1:44 PM

2 Comments:

"They don't seem quite as excited as I am."

This made me laugh. I can just see you interrupting the music to go on and on about Findlay while they pretend to care!!

Anonymous Anonymous, at 21 October, 2008
------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Having been there with you, I can see their sweet little faces. I also remember the lady who tried to kick that one obnoxious gal and she lurched by...precious!

Anonymous Anonymous, at 31 October, 2008
------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Add a comment



THE SCORE

Name:Marg Marshall

View my complete profile

Clef notes

"Fight discouragement like the very devil himself." ~ Morton Dorsey

(The wisest thing my dad ever told me.)

REPERTOIRE
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
May 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
November 2009
May 2011
October 2015

CODA
designer | JEAN

free tracking