Saturday, May 30, 2009 ;
3:28 PM

Greetings. Haven't posted for a while. If I were my imaginative son, Hyperion, I would say I have been on safari in Swaziland. Since I'm me, I'll say I haven't been up to anything interesting.

Take that back...I attended a beach wedding two weeks ago, my very first! It was on Holden Beach, North Carolina, a stone's throw from the South Carolina border and the more famous Myrtle Beach. My nephew Jon Walls married Emily Jones; he's the first of the grandchildren to marry.



It was a long, rainy trip there and back, but the wedding itself was beautiful.
There were two oval lines of shells marking where the bridal party should stand, and the two minister fathers married them. The family and friends sat on blankets, with the rolling sea just yards away.

The best moment came when Jon and Emily, newly pronounced husband and wife, turned, joined hands, and skipped back toward the beach house. Skipped. He in long cream colored shirt and khakis and she in beautiful white wedding gown, with her long veil whipping out behind her in the sea breeze. It was one of those priceless moments; hope the photographer caught it.



My sister Liz and I decorated the beach house for them with shells, candles and touches of turquoise and chocolate brown, Emily's colors. Our husbands strung lanterns on the deck, and twinkle lights along the railings. The scene out there was magical; of course the humidity kept me indoors.

And let me remark about the food! My sister Trish and her husband Billy cooked not only the rehearsal luncheon for the wedding party of 20, but also signed on for the wedding dinner. Both were cooked and served right there in the beach house, the lodging for the wedding party. Trying to prepare for a wedding where 12 young adults are billeted is NOT recommended, should any of you decide on a beach wedding.

Jon had requested pulled pork sandwiches, mac & cheese, baked beans and potato salad...kind of a "picnic at the beach" type affair. Serving that to 80 people alongside the waves seemed a bit difficult, so Trish opted to serve in the beach house. A friend of Billy's did the pork, with his own special rub for the meat, then l-o-n-g roasting and tedious "pulling" by Trish and Billy. Definitely labor intensive. But without a doubt the finished product was the best pork sandwich I have ever had, and the other dishes were fantastic also. I think it was the best wedding supper I've ever eaten, followed by a three layer cake done by their friend Johan. Talk about exotic flavors: poppy seed with lemon filling, white cake with berry filling, and chocolate with kahlua fudge filling. Incredible, and all decorated with tiny frosting sea shells. And done by a young man who said "I worked at the Kroger bakery and they taught me some stuff."

Anyway, that's enough for now. Tomorrow, the world's best lasagna. marg







♫♫♪♫♪ from Marg


Marg Marshall, 3:28 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment



THE SCORE

Name:Marg Marshall

View my complete profile

Clef notes

"Fight discouragement like the very devil himself." ~ Morton Dorsey

(The wisest thing my dad ever told me.)

REPERTOIRE
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
May 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
November 2009
May 2011
October 2015

CODA
designer | JEAN

free tracking