Tuesday, August 11, 2009 ;
1:44 PM

TOM'S SPRIGHTLY SPROUTS

I know there are people out there who like Brussel Sprouts. My niece here in Columbus has the good fortune to be dating a master chef, and Tom's Sprouts are something to write about. So I am.

2 lbs. Brussel sprouts, washed and trimmed
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 small yellow onion (sweet)
1 lemon (using the zest + the juice)
1 Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (less than)
salt, pepper
1/2 stick butter

Slice onion, melt butter, then carmelize onions in butter. Cube apple (peeled, cored). Add apple, apple juice, raisins and lemon zest to the carmelized onions. Simmer to reduce by half, about 4 minutes. Turn the fire off and add the nutmeg.

Cook sprouts with the juice from the lemon added to the cooking water. Drain, mix with the sauce. Serve with ham and scalloped potatoes for a fabulous meal!

Labels:



♫♫♪♫♪ from Marg


Marg Marshall, 1:44 PM

1 Comments:

Brussel sprouts are just about my favorite vegetable. I love them with just butter and salt. But I will try this recipe. Thanks?

Anonymous Trish, at 14 August, 2009
------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Add a comment



THE SCORE

Name:Marg Marshall

View my complete profile

Clef notes

"Fight discouragement like the very devil himself." ~ Morton Dorsey

(The wisest thing my dad ever told me.)

REPERTOIRE
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
May 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
November 2009
May 2011
October 2015

CODA
designer | JEAN

free tracking